Friday, September 23, 2011

To Maker Faire, to Maker Faire, to Maker Faire we go.

For a long time I have heard about Maker Faire by listening to Science Friday on NPR and had no idea what the deal was.  So we decided to take an adventure there on Saturday the 17th. We had no idea what to expect but it was wonderful.  I think that this place was created with dorks like Dan and I in mind.

I think we drooled over a lot of things that we could have purchased, but we were good and refrained. 
This cookbook seems to be written with me in mind... so added to my wish list. 
And Dan really wants of these crazy music makers, called a theremin.  People have learned how to do some amazing things with them.  So added to Dan's wish list. 


 People make so many creative things and use the faire as a way to show them off.  This guy covered a car with those singing and dancing fish and had them all synchronized to different songs like Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody".  It was pretty amazing, although we do wonder who has that much time
A bike that runs on VEGETABLE OIL.  So cool.  And it has a certain extra sexiness to me because its a Kawasaki and the same one I used to have...

I think that the faire inspired us... because shortly after.  I made a meal of lasagna and salad (just for me of course).  I even made an extra so during a exam ridden weekend we can eat something other than fast food or take out. 

I even dressed the table up all nice and neat complete with candles.  Why not use them every day instead of just for fancy occasions.


 We also decided to build some furniture.  Well not from scratch... but it felt like it.  If there is one thing that a medical student needs, it is lots of desk space.  In the past few weeks I had begun to take over Dan's desk and the "community space" aka floor with my mess of books, notes and highlighters.  So we motivated and I purchased my very own, adult desk!  I have to say it was a lot of fun for me to actually choose a piece of furniture seeing as most of apartment is furnished with a hodgepodge of hand-me-downs.

So here our before pictures and soon I promise some after pictures.   

In total the desk building process took us about 8 hours (5 Dan and 3 me).  We had to divide and concur in two separate rooms.

I swear this is the proper way to use your OMM table... Dr. Gilliar would be proud. 

No comments:

Post a Comment