Thursday, July 26, 2012

White Coat KIDnapping

A week ago during torrential rains, tornado- like winds, and terrifying lightening I got my white coat.  Basically after two purely academic skills, one horrible board exam there is a ceremony in which new third years receive their white coats in honor of finally making it to the clinical part of medical school.  I have to admit despite my reservations and grumpiness at only getting two tickets the evening was quite enjoyable.  It was at a fancy-smancy country club/wedding reception place with a nice, but long ceremony and then a sit down dinner.    
That night, and then looking at the hundreds of photos from it, has me reflecting on the last two years especially on all the support I have gotten. So bear with my for a few minutes while I give some thanks (in no particular order).  Thanks to my parents.  My mom had to deal with countless pre-exam panic attack phone calls to which she would always remind me that "no exam was the end of the world." ... I swear I always believed her.  Also my dad who the night before my board exams demanded that I stop studying, take a chill pill and get some sleep.  Best advice ever.  And of course a big thankfulness to Dan, who does not realize how much I owe my sanity to him.  I will always remember during my first year being super stressed and mentioning how I missed him (before he moved up here) and then the next day he was there!  I think he would have a million dollars if he got one penny for every time he heard "what if I failed" or "but this test was different."  And the fact that he moved to place he considers worse than Dante's 9th circle of hell (Long Island) for me is something I don't appreciate hardly enough.
 Also the cats... yes I would like to thank my cats even though they love destroying our blinds, sofas, and leave a trail of fur every where they go.  I am thanking them because they are loving no matter how bad or good of a day I am having.  They love me no matter what as long as I feed them, give them water, clean their box, and give them pets (okay, maybe they are a little demanding). I also want to thank all of my family, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, brothers, sisters, cousins, grandma and poppy tom.  There are many little ways in which I have felt supported by these people in the last two years, facebook comments of encouragement, phone calls, appreciation of my presence at family gatherings and understanding of my absence at them as well. 
And my NYCOM family.... I am forever grateful to my lecture pals... who made going to lecture almost every day bearable. Thanks for the birthday celebrations, the post-test brunches/ pedicures/ manicures, for the billions of comfort text messages sent back and forth, the library/Panera/Starbucks study days, the beach days (always need those), the attempted Zumba classes, the fro-yo dates, for surviving robotics, ICC, OMM, ACLS and pelvic exams together.  I have to admit moving to Long Island and going back to school has been one of the most challenging things I have ever had to do.  Our support for one another has made the journey over the last two years so much more tolerable, dare I say enjoyable (just speaking for myself).  
I feel like I should end my little/long entry with "Thank you and goodnight" like all those Hollywood peoples after getting an Oscar or whatever BUT the title did mention a KIDnapping.  When my parents came to visit for the white coat ceremony the left me....
My nephew Christopher... who Paws decided to kidnap for a few days by sleeping on his luggage.  So we had a few days to hang out.  We got to play mini-golf (more for my entertainment than his), go to the arcade, go see Batman at 9:00 am (yay), go to Barnes and Noble, play some board games and video games, and we did some crafts.

We learned how to make these super cool parachute cord bracelets and well anklet for me.  My dorky survivalist side loves these because they have dual uses, stylish anklet/bracelet and instant rope.  I think mine undone has about 9 yards of parachute cord... think of the uses. Useful in the zombie apocalypse or the next time Dan and I go camping... which ever.





 With some encouraging and a nasty look I got the boys to eat some fruit.







Before I knew it, I had to drop Chris back home in CT.  But first we made a detour to New Haven for some noodle heaven.  We stopped at my favorite, Ivy Noodle for some delicious curry noodle soup take out.  For those of you who don't know I love New Haven's food.  It is vast and delicious, I have yet to find Thai, Middle Eastern, Italian, Indian, or Malaysian food that compares in the least.  So to all of New Haven readers... eat and enjoy it :-). Needless to say our detour to New Haven was a treat...
 In general my trip home was short but very sweet.  I stocked up on vegetables at the local farm stand near my parents home.  Then I visited my grandma and Poppy Tom where I was given another bag of veggies (I am thinking veggie recipe blog post in the very near future).  Love all the fresh veggies, I am in veggie heaven.    I also got to hang out with my dad for a bit.  We played some cards, I had a Guinness <3, Chris and I made my dad a red parachute bracelet, cause he likes to be prepared too. He also showed me the sunflowers... including the gigantic one they have.   As it got dark I prepared to head home, but made yet another detour to visit my mom at work.  It just didn't feel right to be in CT and home without at least getting a hug from my mom.  Even though it was a quick visit with her, it made the trip feel complete.  I came home feeling renewed and ready for my week of rotations preparation (details to follow). 



No comments:

Post a Comment